Monday, May 03, 2010

I am going to write a much longer post about the trip I took this past weekend at some point later on this week, but for now my pictures are not uploading for some reason, and so I only have four for you here. I went to the Colca Canyon on a little tourist bus trip on Saturday and Sunday. The trip basically involved a lot of time in our 15 passenger bus, a lot of stops at viewpoints (all of which were under clouds on Saturday, big bummer) and a lot of eating traditional regional dishes in restaurants. It was pretty fun, and I am glad I went. Here is a preview:

These are wild vicunyas, whose wool is softer and more valuable than cashmere, apparently. They are protected in this national park that we drove through, and we saw a ton of them.

Vendors at one of our rest stops, selling alpaca sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves, bags. They are dressed in traditional clothing and expect payment in return for pictures taken of them.

I couldn't resist. I figured this picture was worth about 35 cents.

Alpacas! They are pretty funny-looking, like cartoon characters or something. They are also delicious, as I discovered a few times over the course of the weekend. :)

No comments: